August 11, 2008

Welcome Home!

So we arrived home last night around 8 pm from Canada. We unpacked the van and told the kids to get ready for bed. As Derek and I were listening to messages on the anwsering maching, the girls came up from downstairs (still in clothes) and I got mad at them for not being in jammies. Well, Katelyn quickly told us that their carpet in their bedroom was wet!! To which Maloree quickly replied, "I didn't pee on it mom, I promise!" So Derek and I right away knew that our basement had flooded. We went downstairs and sure enough their whole bedroom was wet! Luckily it had just started to seep out into the family room! We put all the kids to bed upstairs and then proceeded to remove everything from the girls room. Katelyn had left her wheat bag (a bag full of wheat that you warm in the microwave at night to stay warm) on the floor and it was sprouting wheat (kind of crazy), so we knew that it had happened during the big hail storm that hit Minot about a week earlier! Anyway, Derek and I spent the better part of the next 3 hours cleaning out the girls room, tearing out their carpet and throwing it away, lifting the carpet in the family room to try and salvage it, and mopping the girls floor to try and stop any growth of mold that may have began! I am so tired today and I think that it is unfair to have to come home to something like that after a fun trip to visit family! Oh well, at least we still have a house, and I get to go and pick new carpet very soon! I really should be blogging about our vacation to Canada but I am all too tired, so sorry no pics for now, just me whining about water damage!!

11 comments:

Kami said...

So sorry Brooke! If it makes you feel better, I spent almost an hour last week cleaning poo out of our carpet. Then entire milk jugs were spilled twice in the same room last week as well. The carpet stinks so bad now, but hopefully we won't be paying to change it.

Kami said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jodi said...

You totally deserve to whine! I'm so sorry...If you lived closer to me :) I would come help you! As soon as you have recovered from your trip and lack of sleep, post some pictures from your trip! I'm still sad that I couldn'e be there!

The Haws Family said...

Hey, sorry about your carpet. Thats no fun. Today my toilet overflowed, and as I went running upstairs to get a plunger, I realized that my roommate Cat moved out two days ago....and took her plunger with her. It was kindof a sad state of affairs. Oh well. I don't know what I want more, a plunger, or an ironing board, both of which Cat took. Maybe neither. Good idea. Well, good luck picking out carpet!

Laurie HF said...

Oh dear! That part of town has trouble like that all the time. We were always worried that the sump pump would do its job. I'm sorry to hear about your bad welcome home and hope you had a great time anyway.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the carpet - I bet that was exhausting after driving home all day and then having to take care of the that situation. I love your cute new family photo!! Very very nice of everyone! Have a good day.

Megan

Megan said...

Sorry to hear about the carpet - that is so exhausting to come home from a trip and have to deal with a situation like that!! I love the new family photo!! Everyone looks so good!!!! Can't wait to see you guys in October.

Megan

Kayli said...

I meant to comment a long time ago on this post, but didn't. Obviously.

But yeah, I TOTALLY agree that it's soooo rude to come home to something like that. Brett and I came home to wet carpet once too, but luckily it had been a short trip. But yeah, it's such a sickening feeling when you walk in and realize you've got this monster job in front of you. You just want to turn around and walk back out.

AND------I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEE your new family picture!!! It is soooo fantastic! EVERYONE looks sensational! (well, I suppose Gideon could have been smiling, but 5 out of 6 is pretty incredible. You guys are all rock stars.

The Schooley's said...

Welcome home, welcome home, & did I mention welcome home?? Can you tell you were missed?? Super glad to start watching football with you guys!! Love the new family pix!!

Anonymous said...

I love the new pic of you guys!! You are way cute and pregnant!! Makes me want to be pregnant again!! Too bad my kids are pills though! Cute cute family!

Nikki said...

Oh how terrible! That is a really sad welcome home. I'm glad you are all back. That's too funny what Maloree said though.

I'm looking forward to pictures of your trip. But no pressure. ;)